As the leading Content Management System (CMS), WordPress gives you the tools you need to manage any site, big or small. This includes the ability to export and import content. You might not need to move content often, but when the time comes, you’ll want it to be easy. This is especially true if you deal with large amounts of content and have a multilingual website.
Luckily, the WPML team recently released WPML Export and Import. This new add-on makes it much easier to move your multilingual content to a new site.
Up until now, keeping imported posts, pages, and other content organized and correct across different languages required a lot of extra steps. Now, just a few clicks allow WPML Export and Import to do the hard work for you!
What Sets WPML Export and Import Apart?
WPML Export and Import doesn’t replace the export and import plugins you currently use. Instead, it works with them. This add-on sets language information and links imported translations. It works great with the native WordPress and WooCommerce export and import features, as well as popular third-party plugins like WP All Import and WP Import and Export.
Here’s how you use it if you’re moving content from one WordPress site to another:
- Step 1 – Install and activate WPML Export and Import on both the website you’re exporting from and the one you’re importing to. WPML Export and Import supports many export and import tools. If you’re using one of them, this add-on will automatically add language information to the CSV or XML files generated by your export plugin.
- Step 2 – Export your multilingual content from your current site using the export plugin of your choice, just as you normally would.
- Step 3 – Import the content into your new WordPress site using your preferred import plugin, following your usual process.
- Step 4 – Run WPML Export and Import by going to WPML → Export and Import and clicking the Run Import WPML Export and Import takes it from there. It configures the language settings and connects the primary and secondary language content.
Multilingual Exports and Imports for your WooCommerce Store
If you manage a WooCommerce site, you need to update products on a regular basis to keep your inventory up-to-date.
The easiest way to do this is by exporting your product data into a file (like a CSV) and handling your updates in a spreadsheet. Then, you can import the updated content back into your site. This is straightforward for sites operating in only one language. But, with a multilingual site, you need your shop pages to display products in the right language.
WPML Export and Import provides a great solution for this too. All you need to do is add a few fields to your spreadsheet that tell WPML the languages of your product categories, products, and their attributes. Here’s a video tutorial that nicely explains the process:
Want to Know More About Multilingual Exports and Imports?
Our team at Skrivanek knows WPML and recommends it for multilingual WordPress sites. However, for questions or detailed information about exporting and importing, it’s always best to ask the experts directly.
- New to WPML? Contact the WPML pre-sales team. They can provide insights into how WPML Export and Import works and discuss other WPML add-ons that might be a good fit for your site.
- Already a WPML user? You can always reach out to the support team. They can help with your questions or problems and make sure your website works well in all the languages you need.